Trying to pick out which is the best organic baby formula among the multitude of choices available is a daunting task, particularly if you do not know what specifically to look for. Organic baby formulas are not created equal though consumers may have been lead to believe otherwise. Contents of various essential ingredients vary among these brands. Doing your research and knowing what each special ingredient can do for your baby can help you pick which is the best organic baby formula for you and your baby’s needs.
RULE NUMBER 1: The best organic baby formula has the right formulation for your child’s needs.
Every formula will contain four basic things:
- Vitamins & Minerals
Besides these, many organic baby formula brands will have other nutrients which are good for your baby like probiotics which aids your baby in digesting food and nucleotides (examples are DHA & ARA).
But organic baby formulas differ in the following in terms of formulations:
- Know the difference between soy based and dairy based formula. Infants who are lactose intolerant thrive best on soy based formula because they cannot digest the lactose found in dairy based formulations.
- Consider your baby’s ability to assimilate and digest proteins, amino acids, fatty acids, DHA, and ARA.
- Formula based on dairy has two types of proteins, whey and casein. Casein is more difficult to digest and keeps your baby fuller for a longer period but if your baby has difficulty digesting milk, formula brands which have high casein content may not be the best option. Whey protein is easier to digest organic baby formula brands are often best for babies with digestive problems or has difficulty maintaining weight.
- Formula can also have amino acids as a protein source which means the protein is already broken down into easy to digest form and also makes it hypoallergenic.
- Formula with goat’s milk as protein source means it has less lactose than dairy based organic baby formula and can cause less allergies as well.
- Formulas with soy as source of protein might be good for lactose intolerant babies but might cause hormone imbalances since soy can increase the level of the hormone estrogen.
- Know the difference between organic lactose and brown rice syrup. Organic lactose is animal derived, and can cause allergies not to mention the fact that lactose intolerant babies would have serious problems digesting it. Brown rice syrup is plant derived, therefore there is significantly less possibility of it producing an allergic response and it is best for babies who might be lactose intolerant or have digestive issues. Brown rice syrup also has more complex carbohydrates in it which makes it better in controlling the spikes of blood sugar levels.
RULE NUMBER 2: The best organic baby formula has the right characteristics for your needs.
- Ready to feed formula is best for parents who have a busy lifestyle. They are also great for your child’s health since they are in sterile containers that does not need to be mixed with water. This is especially important if access to a reputable water source is compromised or you do not want the hassle of having to buy bottled water and preparing your baby’s milk by yourself.
- Formula in powder form is cheaper and more budget friendly, for parents on a pinch, this type would be a good choice.
If you’re plagued by finding the best organic baby formula for your baby, then you ought to congratulate yourself for taking a proactive role in making your baby’s health the top priority. We hope to have empowered you with the information needed to pick the best baby formula for your child by keeping to mind the following thought: The best baby formula should cater both to your needs and more importantly, your baby’s needs.